Trading Futures……… Growing Profits

A trader’s look at Head and Shoulders Formation

Inverted Head and Shoulders

Head-and-Shoulders Formations

A head-and-shoulders pattern is one of the most common formations referenced and championed by non-chartists. It might be difficult to see the suggestion of an actual head and shoulders of a person, but that’s the genesis of the name. Although it requires a little imagination to picture it, that’s exactly what charting is all about.

This chart tells the trader two things: first, the top is probably in and the trend is changing; second, it gives us a way to measure the length of the move. Note the length from the “head to the neckline”, then measure the same distance below the “neckline” and calculate a downside objective. Entering the market when it breaks the neckline is difficult, but it’s the correct thing to do. A stop-loss inverted order should then be placed above the “right shoulder”. The head-and-shoulders formation is just the reverse of the top. Using the same type of measurement when the market breaks above the “neckline will yield an upside objective.

Unfortunately, price objectives do not come with guarantees. This is particularly true for head-and-shoulder formations. The objectives will generally be achieved 60 percent of the time, which puts the odds in the trader’s favor. For the other 40 percent of the time, it is imperative that you learn to recognize when you are wrong and quickly reverse a trade. It is also important to be flexible and to be aware of other chart formations, such as the triangle.

Subscribe to our Trading Service Free for 30 Days

Here’s what real investors like YOU have to say about Visible Trends-

Jim: I finished reading your futures trading newsletter last night. Thank you for sending it. It is one of the best and most comprehensive pieces I have read on the economy, and we read several newspapers every day, including the Wall Street Journal. I marked my calendar for March 13, looking forward to your next newsletter. Cheers... Al Bradshaw

Tag Cloud

Disclaimer

By accepting this communication, you agree that you are an experienced user of the futures markets, capable of making independent trading decisions, and agree that you are not, and will not, rely solely on this communication in making trading decisions. The risk of loss in trading futures and/or options is substantial and each investor and/or trader must consider whether this is a suitable investment. Past performance, whether actual or indicated by simulated historical tests of strategies, is not indicative of future results. Trading advice is based on information taken from trades and statistical services and other sources that JL Futures believes are reliable. We do not guarantee that such information is accurate or complete and it should not be relied upon as such. Trading advice reflects our good faith judgment at a specific time and is subject to change without notice. There is no guarantee that the advice we give will result in profitable trades. This material has been prepared by a sales or trading employee or agent of JL Futures and is, or is in the nature of, a solicitation. This material is not a research report prepared by a Research Department. Distribution in some jurisdictions may be prohibited or restricted by law. Persons in possession of this communication indirectly should inform themselves about and observe any such prohibition or restrictions. To the extent that you have received this communication indirectly and solicitations are prohibited in your jurisdiction without registration, the market commentary in this communication should not be considered a solicitation.